October 13, 2008

October 13, 2008


 

Oct 13, 2008,  I am sorry that I kept all of you in the dark for the past few days but it has been hectic to say the least.  Jodi awakened Thursday AM and complained of stomach cramps.  She began to vomit which led to aspiration into her lungs and pneumonia.  She also had severe weakness.  I took her to the ER at Ogden Regional where they admitted her for tests.  The Dr. that did the admitting was great and right on top of things.  Jodi was given antibiotics for the pneumonia and other problems. X-rays showed that the tube that had been placed into her small intestine had dislodged and was sitting in the stomach.  Her white count was 41,000 (extremely high and indicative of infection. A normal wbc is between 5,000-10,000. It was decided that the vomiting had dislodged the feeding tube.  Jodi was to see the in house DR. the next AM and have the tube replaced that AM also.  By 4:00 pm Jodi still had not seen the Dr.  I had asked several times when she would see him.  I finally had a little fit and the Dr. showed up but by then, I had talked to Dr. Edgely at the U of U and he said for us to have her transferred down there.  She spent the weekend there where they reinserted the "J tube" and then sent her home.  Unfortunately, Dr. Edgely was going out of town and had Jodi seen by another Dr. who did not know her history very well.  I think that she was sent home prematurely and it looks as if she may be returning before the day is out.  She is still vomiting and continues to have diarrhea.  Her lungs are full of junk and she struggles to breath.  I have been giving her Pedialite in the "J tube" continuously since last night and giving her antibiotics.  I also called her primary physician and got an RX for Zofran for the nausea, which has helped but she is still so weak.  The U of U Dr is treating her for something called c-diff which if she has it, she probably got it because for 10 days prior to all of this, she was taking Keflex for an infection on her leg with the "Halo".  Keflex can cause c-diff. I think that the Drs assume that is why she has been vomiting and has diarrhea.  They ran tests for c-diff but I did not find out what the tests showed.  I will try to be timelier with updates.   Connie


 

1 comment:

Jodi Orgill Brown said...

Jodi, I heard at church on Sunday that you were back in the hospital...not sure whether you are home or at the U now, but wherever you are, I am praying for you! I can't believe all that you continue to go through. I am sure it must be hard, but try to keep being strong.

I love ya to pieces and I think of you alllll the time. Hope you can get feeling better. You need to be strong so you can get those cute kids ready for Halloween! Lots of trick or treating to be done in a few weeks, so I hope you will be well enough and strong enough to enjoy the season with your family.

Take care. Love you.
Jodi B.