March 7, 2008

March 6th

You would think that I would by now recognize the pattern with Jodi. If she does well for a day or if she sets a date to go home, something is bound to happen and it did. Last night, I received a phone call saying that Jodi had aspirated some of her tube feed. It seems that her stomach went to sleep during the time that she had the flu and it has not awakened yet. As a result, she cannot assimilate her feedings through the gastric tube. Instead, the nutrition is regurgitated to her mouth (not good since she cannot swallow and fluids only go into her lungs.) It took the nurses two hours to get her stable enough to send her up to Medical ICU where she underwent a procedure to replace the gastric tube (goes directly into her stomach) with a tube that goes into her small intestine (where most of the food absorption goes on anyway).
That should prevent any further aspirations from her stomach. She is actually quite positive and In good spirits. She is loved by all of the nurses and aids on the rehab floor and when I went there to get some of her stuff, I was surrounded by them. All of them talking at once with love and concern for her and telling me that they were holding her room for her. I met with her therapists (some of whom cried when they found out) and they are coming to visit her this afternoon to cheer her up. She loves them as much as they love her. Keep Praying, some day all of this will be over. We hope this does not delay her March 14 departure date.
Connie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
I just wanted you to know, like always, I'm sending you all my love.
Karen

Anonymous said...

dear jodi,
I can't wait for you to come home!!!But I bet you can't wait even more!!I hope you are feeling better!!i will come and see you soon!Annajane is so cute,Wendy said she is a really good baby!I can't wait to come see you again I love to talk to you!!!

Love,
Dessa